Pop Tax!

Monday, January 18, 2010

In our modern world, more and more people are becoming health conscious in an attempt to prolong their lives and to live better. Health consciousness does not mean that one only eats broccoli and celery, but that one is aware of the foods that one is eating and their effects on the body. Pop is one of the largest culprits of obesity in North America today. Despite many commercials and other sources of information that prove that these simple unhealthy choices can add up (for example, drinking one can of pop for a year will increase your weight by ten pounds), many people continue to deny the facts, and continue to drink pop, ultimately unaware or even uncaring of their future.

I applaud the New York Health Department’s attempts to help people make healthy choices. Although I would prefer if the scare campaign was not necessary – I believe that it is. People rarely think of the consequences of their choices of food. Eating MacDonald’s once a month will not harm you, but if you have it once a day, then there will be devastating health effects. Similar to the documentary Super Size Me, sometimes a scare campaign is necessary because people need to see the actual possibilities and not just hear the facts in order to make a change based on emotional response.

This video does not make me want to become a healthier person. I would already consider myself health conscious, and I rarely drink carbonated drinks. The commercial turns me away from food in general, rather than pop specifically. The video made me feel sad, actually. It was a bitter reminder that many people are not health conscious, and that such a video is needed to motivate people to eat healthy.

I do think that the growing rates of obesity in our country is an epidemic that many are not taking seriously. Obesity leads to so many other health problems and complications later in life that drinking pop is not worth it. Would one rather have pop every day than a glass of water, gain weight or maintain one’s figure, or ultimately live five years less?

I hope that the tax does go through, and I hope that Canada feels pressured and adds it’s own tax to pop. I believe, however, that fifteen cents is too small an amount to deter anyone. I think, however, that it is sad that a scare campaign is even necessary. Our bodies are our most important resource, so I can't understand why people would willingly poison themselves.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like when you say that scare campaigns are necessary because people do need to know what will happen to them if they drink too much pop. They need to be scared in order for them to get the message and actually listen to it. Healthy eating needs to be promoted, now that since obesity has been infecting our nation. I also agree that healthy eating is needed in order to prevent health issues later on in life.

Anonymous said...

First, let me say that this huge block of text was difficult to read. I didn't like it. But anyway...

I noticed that my feelings toward the commercial are exactly the same as yours. It didn't affect my feelings towards pop (because I also don't drink much), but it did disgust me.

You and I disagree on several points and you contradict yourself on several others, but I see where you're coming from.

(:

Anonymous said...

I agree Canada should place a similar tax on soda pop. I do however disagree, I think the commercial would make many people want to eat healther and avoid soda pops.

Veronica said...

I agree with you about how scare campaigns are necessary. Although it may not work as effectively on us as much as the campaign wants us to, it makes us think and realize how bad the situation is. It also kind of gives us a heads up as to what can happen in the future. By knowing the facts and how it can effect our lives, it makes us think about how we can possibly change so it won't happen. Also, I also agree with you about how eating healthier is necessary if we want to prevent unwanted health issues later on.

Post a Comment

Followers

Sample widget

Widget Sample

test Widget

 

Browse